Saturday, March 8, 2014

Reading on the Run

It's spring break around here for my school and I couldn't be happier. There is such a mental difference between having a last minute day off of school for a snow day, and a planned 4-day weekend. Yesterday was my intern's last day full time in the classroom for the next month, it's the beginning of Lent, PSSA's are coming...ah! I need this break, and I can imagine I'm not the only one.

To kick off my break I got out the running shoes bright and early this morning. It was a beautiful time outside. Still chilly, but not freezing. I don't think of myself as a runner, I'm not the person who can go forever without stopping, but I try to enjoy it. My problem however, lies in running with music. I don't enjoy hearing myself huff and puff so music helps, but then I try to keep up with the tempo of the music (I can't help it, I was in marching band!).

My solution? Audiobooks! I downloaded Audible and picked up a copy of Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library to listen to.

My amazing librarian also has hooked me up with Catalyst Digital, a service that our high school has accounts for. My run was fun because I was sucked into the book. Though it's hard to run and laugh when there are farting geese in the book (just read it, you'll understand). I'm looking forward to getting some more running time in this coming week!

Of course I'm a sucker for real books too. We just celebrated World Read Aloud Day on Wednesday with some amazing readers and stories.
My intern reading The Dirty Cowboy by Adam Rex

Our instructional coach reading the cutest book about a penguin, it was a close read, they loved it!
My principal reading Fox in Sox by Dr. Seuss 
My amazing librarian reading some potty books! She read Poopendous and The Butt Book to name a few.
 My class just finished our read aloud of True Talents by David Lubar yesterday, and I think we are going to do Flora and Ulysses next!The Well: Bequest by Polly Shulman (it's part of the Grimm series) and Fortunately, The Milk by Neil Gaiman. I'll be honest, Neil Gaiman's book will be read first, he makes me laugh!


I always encourage my students to take books home during breaks, plus with PSSAs coming up in two weeks they will need some enjoyable reading materials for after the test as well. Being the good role model that I am (and a sucker for any good cover!) I picked up two while we were in the library as well. In between cleaning, grading, and a Wednesday inservice I hope to read The Wells Bequest (part of the Grimm series) and Neil Gaiman's book Fortunately, the Milk.
His books crack me up, I'm looking forward to a little humor!
So there you have it, a few good books and some sunshine. It may not be the 'traveling to Cancun' type of spring break but it sounds amazing to me. If you've read any of these books or have other suggestions I would love to hear them!

1 comment:

  1. So cute - I love the sight of kids gathering for a read aloud and love that they still get it in sixth grade (which to me, seems soooo old since they were the kings of our elementary school) :) And I totally cracked up at your marching band comment! Never can shake it, I guess :)

    ReplyDelete